There and Back Again

View Larger Map

You may wonder what the significance of this map is in regard to this blog post. However, there is no real reason for posting this map in particular. It’s more important that you know what the starting and end points of this map are.

Starting location: The Shire

Ending location: Mordor

Manner of transportation: Walking

Yes, you have read that correctly: I have planned a journey from the famous Lord of the Rings trilogy. While it may not look like the right place, I typed those two locations into the “Directions” search and got a walk through the lovely state of Washington. Upon pressing enter, I was graced with this lovely map above, as well as some words of warning…

Walking directions are in beta.
Use caution – One does not simply walk into Mordor.”

Shocked? A little. Giddy? Very much so. Had I not stumbled upon this story on the interwebz, I never would have attempted such a foolhardy venture. I mean, I don’t really want to go to Mordor… that place looks scary as hell in both the live action AND animated versions of the books.

I’m happy to say that Google Earth also shares Google Map’s sense of humor on this.

In regard to the use of either of these tools on my group’s project, I feel as though it would be rather self-explanatory. I mean, who wouldn’t want to see where each of the historical markers are in relation to one another?

P.S. – Not every path to Mordor is the same.

2 thoughts on “There and Back Again

1. LOVE the fact that Google Earth is epic and has a sense of humor. I was pleasantly surprised to see those two places come up on a map.