On to the actual post for the weekend.

For the actual post that answers the questions asked, this is the correct page. This is the serious post.

1)  Of all the tools that were presented above, I have to admit that I enjoy Timeline most. One of the most important things (in my approach of history) is seeing how events relate to one another. The timing of events is personally considered as one of those relations. In relation for the project that my group and I are committed to (the expansion and conversion of the previous blog page for historical markers in the area), it could be used to show the relation of events that are on the markers, or if available, the date that the historical marker was put up. Was there a certain period of time in which the city decided it would place a large number of markers in Fredericksburg or Spotsylvania? Are a good number of markers memorializing a certain period of time, such as the Civil War or another important era? These are a few of the things that Timeline can show a little better, or at least allow for an interpretation from the viewer of the dates shown in an organized manner.

Another tool that I saw (and have so far enjoyed thoroughly) is the blogging system. Everyone that I have talked to whom have taken a couple of history courses (at minimum) would agree that the history department loves blogging. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the History department would marry and have children with blogging, and the offspring would be UMWBlogs. Blogs are a very helpful tool for personal and professional work (due to the question posed in the outline, the edit was made while being written). I enjoy blogging to talk about my daily life, to post amusing pictures of furry animals, to harass people who don’t share the same opinions as me, and to post information on my current historical projects and follow up on the most current historical information. It’s very handy to use, and I can see why it is a well used tool in the UMW community.

I’m not too clever when coming up with serious responses to questions when I’ve already been given free reign over responses, so my creative abilities have always been used up in writing lovely, yet snarky responses for all of my papers and responses since freshman year of college. I mean, of my two responses so far, I would say that a decent combination would be linking a Timeline to a blog, which would allow for the dissemination of ideas in the form of comments that would elaborate on the topic.

2) Lists.

Valley of the Shadow:

Enjoy:

1. Ability to select  different sections by years.
  2. Extra resources available on main page.
  3. Overall organization.

Dislike:

1. On the main page, I don’t think the “Room-like” layout is needed.
  2. The lack of up-to-date sort of styling or graphics.

French Revolution:

Enjoy:

1. The number of primary sources.

Dislike:

1. The layout…I feel like I’m back in middle school looking at a website from the early 2000’s…

UMW Archives:

Enjoy:

1. The professional feel of the site.
  2. Very organized.
  3. I’m a sucker for old UMW photos.

Dislike:

1. The professional feel of the site.
  2. It’s a little hard to go through.
  3. The URL.

Emancipation:

Enjoy:

1. Layout.
  2. Simple color scheme that doesn’t detract from the information.

Dislike:

1. The lack of information regarding each section.

Gilded Age:

Enjoy:

1. This. This is the best of them all. I enjoy the layout and information that is presented on this page.

Dislike:

1. Nothing. At all.
  2. Cat.